Creating Web Pages.
Creating Search-Engine-Optimized Web pages
What we have discussed in the previous topics are very important preparation for SEO. The previous topics are like a civil architect drawing the plan for constructing a new building, meanwhile this topic is about constructing the core basement of that building. Now, we are going to the core effort of a successful SEO and Internet Marketing campaign! Creating the search-engine-optimized Web pages! Here we must go to a little bit technical factors of HTML. Yes, HTML.. Do you like HTML? Don't worry it won't be so technical. We need to take care of things like filename, title tags, meta description tags, meta keyword tags, meta robot tags, add Header Tags, Text Modifiers, create Internal links :) This is very important since you need to apply all this techniques while creating the Web page and while writing the content of the Web page.
- Choose correct filenames is an important first task. The first thing that the search-engine discover when spidering through the Web pages are 1) folder of filenames and 2) filenames
- Every single page of the Web site resides in a different file. So, if you are selling t-shirt online, then either your folder or HTML filename must be relevant to your products. For example for a Web page that contains information on cotton tshirt, then you can create a folder name like tshirt-cotton and the filename is tshirt-cotton.html. So your Web page URL will looks like this www.cheaptshirt.com/tshirt-cotton/tshirt-cotton.html
- Title Tag is the Title of a specific Web Page or text that appears at the top of a web browser when someone is visitng a Web page. For example, go to amazon.com and notice that the Title of the Main Page is something like "Amazon.com: Online Shopping for Electronics, Apparel, Computers, Books....."
- The Meta Title Tag is located in the Header section of an HTML document and the syntax is like: <HEAD><TITLE>The Title goes here</TITLE></HEAD>
Meta Description Tags
- Meta Description Tags are part of the display information that visitors see on your search-engine-result. It contains brief description of what your Web page is all about. Search for a particular keyword on Google, and then notice the search-engine-results for this keyword would have the brief description along, this is it.
- The Meta Description Tag is located in the Header section of an HTML document and the syntax is like: <HEAD><META NAME="Description goes here" CONTENT="This is a description."></HEAD>
Meta Keyword Tags
- Similiar to Meta Description Tag, this is another HTML tag that we should really optimize too. The Meta Keyword Tag contains the list of keywords or phrases separated by comma that describe keywords used in the particular Web page.
- The Meta Keyword Tag is located in the Header section of an HTML document and the syntax is like: <HEAD><META NAME="Keyword" CONTENT="keyword1, keyword2, keyword3, keyword4"></HEAD>
Meta Robot Tags
- Okay, Meta Robot Tag is used to tell the search-engine whether or not the particular Web pages should be indexed. Also, it tells the search-engine which links should be followed. In other words, it prevents the search-engine from indexing a specific page and following any links from that page.
- The Meta Keyword Tag is located in the Header section of an HTML document and the syntax is like: <HEAD><META NAME="robots" CONTENT="index,follow"></HEAD>. Besides, you can also use noindex and nofollow directives.
- Good thing is most Web Hosting services allows us to use robot.txt file and this robot.txt output can be generated using any available tool online such as Google Webmaster. With robot.txt, we don't need to update inside the HTML element anymore.. since the online tool will create a list of links of our website in robot.txt and we can update them accordingly.
Add Emphasis with Header Tag
- Highlight or Emphasis important keywords or phrases! Apply the HTML Header Tags. So, this will make the search-engine to get influenced by those keywords which looks very important in the existing page. So, the search-engine will understand that hopefully rank your web page higher for that keyword.
- Emphasis Header tags are arranged according to level of important ranging from <H1>,<H2>,<H3>.. until <H6>. The first Emphasis <H1> means the most important and the last <H6> signs the least important.
- The syntax is like <H1>Text enclosed within a Header 1 Tag</H1>. The text enclosed is in H1 Heading.
- The syntax is like <H2>Text enclosed within a Header 2 Tag</H2>. The text enclosed is in H2 Heading. Font smaller than H1.
Using Text Modifiers
- Same concept as HTML Header above, except that we use the ordinary text modifiers like bold, Italic, emphasis, underline and strong for some important keywords in your Web page.
- <STRONG>Strongly emphasized keywords</STRONG>
- <EM>Emphasized keywords or text</EM>
- <B>Bolded Text</B>
- <I>Italic Text</I>
- <U>Underlined Text</U>
Create many links in a Web page
- Write some good contents containing your keywords for several Web pages and then start to link these keywords to other Web page of your Web site. This what we call the Internal links. Before we plan to get some external links from other Web sites, please plan the internal link first. This can be tremendously influential to Search-engine.
- Look at this example.. I link this tshirt keyword to tshirt page. I link this namecard keyword to name card page. I link this keyword to a random page.